Outpost Geoje assists you in non-contractual issues, and we suggest that you contact your Transfer Focal Point or Crown Relocations on any matters relating to your pre-arrival requirements. Crown Relocations have been engaged by Shell to provide Relocation Services (including Immigration) for all Expatriate and Local Non National employees transferring to Korea. They will deal with your contractual arrangements during your prearrival, your stay and your departure from Korea. A local service supplier, Coens, is engaged to provide you with additional services, once arrived.
However, do feel free to contact Outpost Geoje to familiarize yourself with Geoje and surrounding for all non contractual issues, before you make the move, when you are there and when you move on again. Below you will find a brief summary of what you may expect of your pre-arrival requirements. Please note that important requirements are subject to change on short notice. It is always wise to consult the appropriate consulate or embassy with any questions.

Pre-Arrival Requirements

Useful documents

Visas & Passports

To enter Korea, you and members of your family who travel with you must have valid passports and visas where required. Passport and visa requirements are subject to change. Use the following information only as general guidelines. The embassy or consulate of your destination country is the best source for current, detailed requirements. Allow plenty of lead time to obtain detailed information and prepare the requisite credentials.
Passport and visa applications must be accompanied by documents - such as passport-size photos, birth certificates, and fees - which vary by country.

Entry Requirements for Korea:
• Make sure your inoculations are up to date before entering Korea.
• Make sure your passport is still valid for a minimum of 6 month after your arrival
• Ensure that there are at least two blank pages left in your passport.
• Make sure that you have the proper visa before entering Korea.

For all the details on the Visa, please download our Inside Guide.

Driving License

You can obtain a Korean Driver License by exhanging your current valid driver’s license. As of August 1, 2007, foreigners who have long-term visas may attempt to use their valid driver’s license to obtain a Korean driver’s license. Applicants will need to present the documents listed below to the Korean Driver's License Authority in order to exchange a license for a Korean license:
• Passport
• A current, valid driver’s license
• Alien Registration Card (ARC) (Entry/Exit records in passport are also acceptable.)
• Three photos (3 cm by 4 cm)
• Korean Driver's License Authority Fee (11,000 KRW)
• a document from your Embassy with an official stamp on it confirming that your license is
The Korean Driving License can be obtained in Masan about (90 minutes by car)
A quick sight and color-blindness test is carried out after the application has been approved. The whole process takes about an hour. Your original driver’s license will be kept at the office until you need it when traveling abroad. To get your original license back, provide details of your travel itinerary as evidence.
As a part of settling in Service, Crown Relocation Service will assist you with the conversion of your driving license into a Korean driving license. Should you have any queries, you are required to contact your Crown Relocation Services specialist directly.

For more information on this:

Vaccinations and Medical Checks

Please contact your doctor for detailed information specifically for your personal circumstances. Vaccination timetable must be started a set period prior to departure to ensure protection – it depends on specific vaccinations needed but can be up to 6 weeks. Typical vaccinations for long term visitors to South Korea are:
• Typhoid
• Diphtheria
• Tetanus
• Polio
• Hepatitis A
• Hepatitis B
• Japanese encephalitis
• Rabies
• Tuberculosis / Measles / chickenpox – dependent on personal circumstances
• Malaria – limited risk - various protection options
Infectious or vector borne diseases that may be found in South Korea include malaria (in some rural regions), Japanese encephalitis, dengue fever, tick borne encephalitis, filariasis, leishmanisis, and leptospirosis.


Expats coming to live and work in Korea for a period of time can be assured that veterinary care is readily available for both large and small dogs. There are boarding kennels that specialize in housing large breeds with almost all vets providing accommodations for small and even sometimes, large dogs. The percentage of Koreans owning dogs is fast approaching the ratio in my Western countries. Cats are less popular in Korea, as they were seen as vermin. Though in recent years, a small but growing number of Koreans have begun keeping cats as pets. While it used to be difficult to find vets who actually liked cats, it is now increasingly common to see clinics that keep one or more cats on the premises. It has become increasingly easy to find products for cat owners.
We’ve received a recommendation for a pet relocation service, from an expat family bringing two dogs in to the country. The name of this company is The First Class Pet and you can reach them via

They even coordinate your move with your current pet on your current location. The First Class Pet Company picks your pet up with the vet in Seoul and drive your pet all the way to Geoje if you want. We also found some good online comments about bringing dogs with into Korea.
Please not that pets are not allowed in restaurants, hotels or public transport in Korea!
Up to date information regarding the importation of pets often depends where you are coming from and are subject to frequent revision. To get the latest information contact your local Korean embassy or consulate. It is also important to be aware to any important requirements to which your per may be subject upon return to your home country.

Regulations, Vaccinations and quarantine

Pets coming into Korea must have an animal health certificate issued in your home country. This certifies that a rabies vaccination has been administered within less than one year and more than 30 days of the animal’s travel.
• Health certificate must be less than 10 days.
• If traveling from USA, health certificate needs USDA stamp.
• Quarantine: Not required for dogs; 10-14 days for cats. Animals from areas designated by Korean
Law as being rabies-free may be kept for only one day.
• Import Permit: Not required.
On arrival animals are taken to the National Animal Quarantine, on Incheon or Kimpo Airport. An original  Airway Bill and the original health certificate should accompany the pet to the quarantine station. Boarding fees are around 2000 to 4000 won per day, prepare to pay for the transportation fees to the station as well. Once animal is judged to be in acceptable condition, customs clearance begins.

Kennels, Pets and Vet Supplies

Since dogs are popular pets, dog supplies are plentiful on the island (including imported dog foods). Cat food (including imported brands) is available as well. Cat litter can be found in the larger department stores (including the LotteMart in TongYeong).

There are competent veterinary services available in Okpo and Gohyun. The veterinary service in Gohyun is recommended. It also offers pet supplies and boarding for small dogs. Dr. Cha is a competent doctor, his

Air & Sea freight

South Korea has quarantine and customs regulations. Crown Relocations will help you with any queries you have regarding quarantine and customs. The shipment of your container will be organized via Team / Crown Relocation and the shipping time to expect is 2-3 months coming from Europe and 1-2 months coming from other parts of Asia. Your Crown Relocations consultant can inform you on the import regulations for the container freight.


The official South Korean Customs regulations for importing are as follows (
Free import, for over 19 year olds:
• 200 cigarettes
• 50 cigars
• 250g of tobacco.
• 1L of alcohol
• 2oz of perfume
• Other personal items (gifts, new items) worth up to US$ 400,-

• Narcotics
• Pornography
• Subversive material
• Treasonous material
• Counterfeit goods or materials

• Weapons (including imitation), ammunition and explosive material (fireworks) only with
permission from Commissioner General of National Police Agency
• Drugs(Narcotics and Psychotropic substance)
• Animals, plants and products thereof including foodstuff is subject to quarantine and may not
be allowed to enter. For more information contact nearest embassy or consulate or appropriate authority –plant or animal for required certificates and prohibited items
• Pets - valid good health certificates as well inoculation proofs are need.
• Endangered animals and plants and products thereof as outline by the CITES convention will
require permit from CITES
• Person carrying more than US$ 10,000 worth of any means of payment (cash, cheque etc.)
needs to declare it to the customs. If you plan to bring large amount of money please contact
nearest embassy for more detailed information.

The essentials

Nowadays a lot of ‘western’ produces, appliances, clothing etc can be found in Korea and also on Geoje Island. Though there are always items hard to come by, a list of things you might want to take with you from your home country:
• Spices / Food Seasoning – difficult to find
• English (or other non-Korean) language books – available but limited range
• English (or other non-Korean) CDs, DVDs- available but limited range
• Filter coffee – relatively expensive
• Vitamins – especially if you want a particular western brand
• Baby/Children equipment – prams/carseats etc, they are more expensive in Korea
• Baby/Children's medicine - available, but you may prefer the comfort of familiar brands
• Clothes/ Underwear / Shoes - shops do not always cater for larger sizes, though quite a number of
western shops are located in Busan (Banana Republic, Gap, H&M, Zara, Mango ect)
• Diarrhea pills – if you get a taste for kimchi
• Baking supplies – choice is somewhat limited
• Food – in case of special dietary needs
• Mattress – if you prefer a soft one, Korean ones are generally quite hard
• Bedding – if you take your own bed with you, sizes may vary
• Sport equipment & replacement parts – Golf, Ski/Snowboard, Cycling, Tennis, as it is really expensive
• Children’s Bikes – expensive and hard to find
• Toiletries & cosmetics – widely available, though you might want to bring your favorites
Al types of products are available in various brands, types and sizes, though for your favorite product it might be the case that the brand you are looking for is not available. Bring along some your favorites of everything you can’t do without or know you will miss, especially for toiletry or personal care brands (tampons, shampoo, toothpaste, bodylotion etc). Even if they are available here, you might not find them right away and this way you know you’ll have a supply, at least for a while.
Houses are generally fully furnished and equipped. You might want to bring your own favorites. Electronics are widely available in Korea, the European style plug is used here.

On Arrival

Gimhae Airport is the nearest domestic airport from Geoje, this airport is located near Busan. Most of you will arrive at Incheon International airport in Seoul at first and then have to move to Gimpo airport to catch a domestic flight from Seoul to Busan Gimhae airport.

At the airport

If you are traveling to Geoje Island from outside Korea, you will most likely arrive at Incheon International Airport in Seoul or at Gimhae Airport in Busan. Go through entry formalities by filling out an arrival card.

Arrival Card
All arriving passengers from foreign countries must prepare and submit a customs declaration form. Submit a Custom Declaration form to the Customs Inspection counter if you have any items for customs clearance. Failure to declare items may result in fines or other punitive measures. For more info:
• When traveling with family, only one customs declaration form needs to be filled out.
• Fill out the Customs declaration form and declare corresponding items, and also remember to enter
traveler's name, date of birth, and other personal information.
• Customs Declaration forms may be filled out in the arrival area, but in order to expedite process, please fill it out before landing.
Customer Declaration Form

From Incheon, Seoul to Geoje
• When arriving at Incheon International Airport there are various options to travel to Geoje Island: You can fly to Busan (Gimhae Airport, 1 hour flight, 41 times per day) or Jinju (Sacheon Airport, 1 hour flight, 7 times per day) directly from Gimpo Airport which handles most domestic flights. There is a shuttle bus connecting Incheon and Gimpo airports.
• It is also possible to take a bus directly from Seoul to Geoje Island but you cannot take a lot of luggage with you i.e. one suitcase per person. You will need to transfer to the intercity bus terminal by taxi.
Intercity express buses to Geoje Island (via Daejeon, Tongyeong, Gohyeon and final stop Jangsangpo) leave from Seoul at Seocho Nambu terminal. The trip takes 5 hours with a general express bus or 4 and half hours with a superior express bus. Buses make a stop along the way so you can use the bathroom.
• Another possibility is to take the Saemaeul express train to Busan or Masan. This will take 4 hours and
20 minutes or 4 hours and 30 minutes. Trains to Busan run 3 times a day, to Masan 9 times a day.
From Busan you can then take a taxi to Geoje Island. From Masan you can take a taxi to Geoje Island
(about 1 hour).
From Gimhae, Busan to Geoje
You can take a taxi to Geoje Island which will take about 1-1,5 hours. The fare between Okpo and Gimhae Airport will cost around KW130,000. You may be able to negotiate a slightly better price. This option is what most people prefer if they have a lot of luggage or if you have (small) children as it involves less hassle in transferring to the coastal ferry terminal.

Local Relocation Support & Welcoming Services

Shell has appointed Crown Relocations and Coens to assist you in your move and help you settle in. Also Outpost Geoje is set up to support you before, during and after the move and connect you with other expat families. We are all ready and looking forward to help you make your transfer as smooth as possible and connect with you to help you settle in and feel at home on the island.
Also, slightly depending on the location you are coming from, demobilization services are offered as well. Immigration support, departure services and shipping will be arranged for you. Please contact your local Outpost office for details.
Note: From Q3 2012 onwards, the Prelude Facilities Manager will be responsible for accommodation and offices in Geoje.

Crown Relocation Services

Crown Relocation Services are currently the Shell Group appointed company that manages the logistics of relocating Shell expats in Asia and provide the essential interface between the Shared Service Centre in Kuala Lumpur and the transferring expatriate. Crown Relocation Services will sub-contract with a number of specialist companies for services locally. The face to the Shell expatriate will be via the local Crown agent.
Relocation Services for Shell staff mobilizing into Korea:
• Immigration Support
o Inform staff of the process & requirements
o Preparing the necessary documents
o Follow up with Consulates/Embassies
• Pre-Arrival Services
o Pre-assignment meeting
o Needs assessment: housing requirements, schooling requirements, special needs
o Provision of relocation information kit
o Arranging transit/temporary accommodation
o Arranging airport transfer (meet & greet service)
o Arranging temporary car hire
• Arrival Services
o Welcoming and pick up from airport
o Orientation of assignment location
• Settling-in services
o Information kit
o Home search
o School search
• Support During Assignment
o Tenancy management
o Home lease extension


Local Services Provider Coens is appointed to help you settle in and find your way around Geoje. A nonexhaustive list of the services Coens offers:
• DDC (Defensive Driving Course)
• Language translation services
• Transportation
• Assistance with private purchase / lease of cars
• Driving Manual in English
• Transit accommodation:
o Maintenance of accommodation & process utilities bills
o Provide furnishing
• 24 hr Emergency Cover
• Social gatherings
• Assist with local banking
• Assist with any issues that may arise with the law

Outpost Geoje

Office hours: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday 9.30-12.00 Wednesday 11.00-15.00
Languages: English, Dutch
Contact >>